Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Well I found the remote for the dish and there is still nothing on worth watching. I am sooooo bored. Nothing happened at work that is really blog worthy. I don't know if I am just cranky or bored. Thank God I work with such a great group of people, they make the shift entertaining but I can't write about them.

My patients were all extremely stable, I kept them entertained and amused during the shift at least until they all went to sleep by 2330. I am looking to move to an ICU that has more critical patients more of the time. Not that I want people to be sick I just want to feel challenged and stretched and be available for those who are really in need of ICU nursing care.


We got a flash pulmonary edema transferred from the floor no cardiac symptoms involved. Lasix and bipap and he was doing fine within an hour. The family arrived bringing with them the aroma of stale cigrettes-it was enough to send the staff into resp distress. One of the family members asked "When are you going to defibrillate". I have to admit I was speechless for a moment but I did think of some amusing responses. Thank goodness I have been practicing; stop and think before you speak. I began to explain the etiology, treatment plan and expected outcomes to the family. The family could not seem to understand why the patient had not or was not going to get 200 joules of electricity through the heart to help with the CHF. The physician tried to explain to the family what had happened and that the patient had already had a significant improvement. As the Dr left the unit he was shaking his head and wishing us good luck. Ever heard the saying "Nursing would be a great career if it weren't for the families"

Right now I will just bide my time, let the new grads get oriented and settled. In the fall when the leaves change hopefully so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment